"Our opponents maintain that we are confronted with insurmountable political obstacles, but that may be
said of the smallest obstacle if one has no desire to surmount it." - Theodor Herzl

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Why is Hyla voting Labor? Knesset pay freeze


This January I find myself a spectator and confused critic of the election season. I have played these roles before during election campaigns in Israel. This January is quite different. As a recent olah I can now play an active role in this year’s election. While I find myself more critical than ever before of the current government and the election campaigns of the right-bloc parties, I am more confident in my support for Avoda and Shelly Yachimovich. There are many reasons why I am supporting the Avoda of today, one of which is Shelly’s demand for a government pay freeze. She has seen the salaries of Knesset members grow considerably faster than the salaries of average Israelis and promoting a government pay freeze is one step she can take to prevent the widening of an ever intensifying socio-economic gap in Israel.

-Hyla, an olah from Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment