"Our opponents maintain that we are confronted with insurmountable political obstacles, but that may be
said of the smallest obstacle if one has no desire to surmount it." - Theodor Herzl

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Why is Ea voting Labor? Real change


When I made Aliyah a year and a half ago, it was because I wanted to make a difference in Israeli society. I wanted to restore the word "Zionism" to the meaning bestowed upon it by the chalutzim, the pioneers who built this country; A Jewish State as a home for a society which would constantly strive for equality and social justice. A People who would hold itself to a higher standard than the status quo of the exile from which it came.

I chose to impact Israeli society by being an educator – a decision that means investing many, many hours into other people; hoping and waiting for them to choose to change their own lives, and join me in this uphill mission. While I still am not disillusioned, even though the measure of my success in this endeavor is almost impossible to see, this is my chance to make a change today.

Today I can be heard.
Today I can support policies which will protect the most vulnerable members of our society.
Today I can insist that the peace process be made an urgent priority by the Israeli government.
Today I can be part of the change in Israeli society by voting Avoda.

In my definition of Zionism, opportunities to change Israel today don't come by that often. So I'm making the most of this chance, and I'm voting for Avoda.

                  -Ea, an olah from New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment